Monday 4 June 2012

Second version of my Rx3 lay down sailing boat

After much thought I finally decided it was worth starting to build a second version of my lay down sailing boat rather than continuing to tweak the original prototype any further.

I have cut out the basic hull. The picture to the left shows the sides temporarily held in place to give an idea of the final shape. I am incorporating quite a few changes to this version due to the lessons learnt in sailing my first version of the Rx3.

The main differences are that I am using 75mm core instead of 50mm to give just a little more all round buoyancy. She is also just over 1 foot longer at 10'3", and just a little narrower to make car topping easier. I have also raised the gunwales towards the bow. These changes should give me the additional free board in the bow that was lacking in the first version.

Hopefully I can get her on the water in the next couple of months as I am really keen to discover how this version sails!



1 comment:

  1. Hi. I have my own crazy ideas too, and I was wondering how you figured out where to put the mast step in the boat. I have a jib in my design and I'm trying to put that in my kayak with out installing a bowsprit.

    Nice job on your designs.

    ReplyDelete